Thursday, November 23, 2006

It's A Sign Of The Times

Sarah Radford, an ex-pupil of Cardiff talked to us today about her work for www.newburytoday.com which is a news site designed to complement the local newspaper, Newbury Weekly News.

I was impressed by the standard of the site given that it has a small budget and a team of three journalists working on it. It seems to have attempted nearly all of the same initiatives as Pete Clifton has forwarded on behalf of the BBC. This really highlighted, for me, the way in which new media can make a huge difference to what news reaches what people and the different forms in which it can do so.

Sarah included in her presentation a clip of one of her bosses talking about this initiative. I was again struck by the fact that he was using all of the same lingo as Clifton and was discussing re-organising office layout to make online less of an add-on and more a fundamental part of the company as Clifton had done. New media is really going to revolutionise the news world then. I had never imagined that traditional, local papers would get involved in this but it seems that bigger changes are afoot than I had anticipated.

2 comments:

Jade Lisa Lord said...

but it's still bloody boring. Let's face it; no amount of jazzy web content is ever going to spice up news. Even they had to take a leaf out of the magazine side hence the whole Life n Stuff section. Very magazineee. They just can't get rid of us lot. We're where it's at. Far more room for creativity and FUN. And obviously here to stay, no death for us!

Jessica said...

No I know it totally confirmed for me that magazines are where I want to be. I've done some work on a local newspaper and it was good but I really don't think I would want to cover local news all the time. She didn't seem to want to either. I'm very excited for us.