Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Eavesdropping


Our tutor, Tim, pointed out that snippets of overheard conversation can prove to be wonderful sources for stories. He also highlighted Jon Henley's 'Overheard'section in the Guardian which is really rather entertaining.

On the back of this, I have decided to start my own regular blog feature. I christen it 'Eavesdropping'. Yes eavesdropping does have more unfavourable connotations than overhearing but I think that's rather apt. Whilst Henley comments on comic or interesting snippets he has heard on the TV, radio etc I intend to comment on people's conversations. A little amoral? Maybe. But entertaining? Let's hope so.

So here is my first eavesdrop...

Who: A fellow student
Where: JOMEC
What: "I love making to-do lists. I add things that I have already done to them just so I can cross them off."

I loved this comment - it was a great comfort to me as I do just the same. I genuinely get a deep sense of satisfaction from crossing an item off my to-do list and so the more insignificant tasks I can pile onto it the more of that good good feeling I get.

Of course there's a big school of thought that suggests that making lists is the most concrete form of procrastination that there is. The website www.43things.com is a place where people can upload their aspirations. 51 people wish they would 'stop making lists of goals and actually do something'another 15 people want to 'stop making lists' full stop, yet more want to 'stop making lists of things that I'll never be able to put on my "accomplished" list' In fact there is a list of about 33 anti-list making desires. Oh the irony.

I liked this particularly bitter post:
"all i do at the beginning and the end of each day is make a stupid list to tell me what i already know…that i have stuff to do the next day/that day! it’s awful and almost chronic for me…and i think it’s time for it to stop..actually, i know it is! hopefully determination is enough, b/c i feel like if i didn’t make lists like i do, than i wouldn’t remember anything…it’s a rather co-dependent relationship that i have with a sheet of paper and pen."

Or how about this little gem...

"Listing sure is fun. And it does make me more conscious of what I want to—or have to—do. But it’s the actual doing part that throws me in a tizzy…"

So what's this all about? Why are we all so list crazy? I know I get it from my Dad who makes several versions of the same list prioritising the items in the main list into smaller lists. But why has it taken hold of so many people? And why are we so appalled by our listing habits? Maybe we should just succumb?

I suppose we'd have to list the pros and cons before making a hasty decision though...

4 comments:

Tim Holmes said...

Jon Henley? Who he? - Tim

Jessica said...

He writes for the Guardian....a section called 'overheard'. I have now gathered that this is not who you were talking about - ha. I realised it was Michael Holden's column that you meant. I have just introduced myself to it and it's very funny. Much more the kind of thing I anticipated when you had metioned the idea than what I had come across in Henley's writing. Cheers for pointing out the error of my ways.

Rachel Arthur said...

Ah hah, I believe I may recognise that overheard conversation!

Jessica said...

haha yes you may do. Although you can be safe in the knowledge that it wasn't yours....phew!